Categories Editor's Pick

Rainstorm destroys 30 houses, school blocks at Nsuta-Buem; one injured

A devastating rainstorm accompanied by strong winds has destroyed about 30 houses and damaged school blocks at Nsuta-Buem in the Jasikan Municipality, leaving one person injured and several families displaced.

The incident occurred on Sunday evening, throwing the farming community into distress as rooftops were ripped off buildings and property worth thousands of Ghana cedis was destroyed.

Mr. Mathias Komla Bassayi, Assemblyman for the Nsuta West Electoral Area, who led the Ghana News Agency around the affected areas, described the incident as unprecedented.

“For the past 20 years, I have never experienced such a storm in this village,” he said.

He said the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) in the Jasikan Municipality, led by Mr. Eric Adom, had been informed, and officials had already visited the community for a preliminary assessment.

According to him, the Municipal NADMO Director was expected to return on Monday to conduct a full inventory of the damage and assess the immediate needs of victims.

Mr. Bassayi appealed to government agencies, benevolent organisations, and individuals to support affected residents with roofing sheets, food items, and other relief supplies to help them recover.

Nana Ollipoh-Ababio V, Gyasehene of Nsuta-Buem, expressed concern about the extent of destruction, particularly the damage to the Nsuta-Buem E.P. Primary School block.

He warned that the destruction of the classroom block could disrupt academic activities if urgent rehabilitation works were not carried out before school resumes.

“This disaster has affected many families and schoolchildren. We are appealing for immediate support to restore the damaged structures,” he said.

Madam Lydia Biama, one of the victims, sustained injuries while attempting to seek shelter during the storm.

She narrated that the strong winds intensified suddenly, forcing her family to run for safety as their building was already weak.

“In the process of running for cover, I fell and got injured,” she said.

She added that with the assistance of the NADMO Director, she was rushed to the Kadjebi Health Centre, where she received treatment and is now recovering.

Her husband, Mr. Seth Atta Nnuro, corroborated her account and appealed for help to reroof their collapsed kitchen and repair parts of their damaged home.

Several residents described the rainstorm as terrifying and destructive, noting that many households are now struggling to secure temporary shelter.

They appealed to authorities and humanitarian organisations to urgently intervene to alleviate their hardship.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments